Monday, February 9, 2009

We Don't Need No Water Let...

Samuel Pepys was a man of pretty high status living in London during the 1660's. During his time there was a monsterous fire, probably comparable to the fire that struck Chicago during the early 20th century. Reading his account on the fire made me realize how great we have it today. You see, back then they did not really have water pressure so their efforts were meaningless considering they were pretty much just pouring buckets of water on it compared to today where we have extremely powerful hoses to fight fires with. Also they did not really have a middle class and there was not a whole lot of love existing between the upper and lower class. Also we value different things in our culture, for example of a fire was about to destroy my home I would not make sure to bury my parmesan cheese.

Also I hope people would try to help their neighbors unlike Mr. Pepys who upon hearing about the fire, went back to sleep as if nothing had happened. Pepys also showed us how they treated their women during this era. Pepys would be juggling multiple mistresses while having a wife. People in their time married only for political reason and did not believe in a thing called love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eGFlTU9tXE

I like to read Pepy's diary because it makes me feel good about the progress we have made as a civilization as a whole. Also I was not a fan of how they beat children on occasion.

Also in my month he seemed pretty professional. He was always going out to eat ( rarely did he eat at home) or to the tavern to presumably discuss things of business nature. He seemed like a very driven indivual and I respect him for that. What I don't respect in my month is that he beats a child for an unknown reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment